When someone mentions board games, do you automatically think of Monopoly, Risk or Trivial Pursuit? If so, then there’s a brand-new world of games for you to discover and explore, the kind of games we play here at HoGS.
We meet each weekend throughout the year to play ‘strategy’ tabletop games. They can be card or board games, and can comprise an almost infinite variety of playing pieces: dice, miniatures, meeples, resources, coins and more.
They’re the kind of games you’ll find at any one of the many board game conventions (cons, such as CanCon) that have cropped up around the world in recent years. They’re the kind that Wil Wheaton and his friends discuss on the popular web series, ‘TableTop‘. They’re also what’s featured on boardgamegeek.com.
We welcome everyone, young and old, and are keen to share our love of the hobby with you. Even if you’ve never played, for instance, Settlers of Catan or Pandemic or Lords of Waterdeep or Ticket to Ride, you’ll find these games surprisingly easy to learn — and lots of fun to play.
We hope to see you soon at HoGS!
- a relaxed, friendly atmosphere
- people of all ages, from pre-teens to over-70’s
- somebody to help you find a game to play
- other players happy to encourage you and help you out if you’re new to the game
- free coffee & tea
- shared snacks & drinks
When you visit for the first few times, one of our volunteers will chat with you to learn what kinds of games you’ve played, or are interested in playing. They’ll then find a game that you can join and will introduce you to the other players.
Your first visit is FREE. Then, we request a $5 donation whenever you visit to help cover hall hire. Or become a Supporting Member to attend all regular meet-ups for the membership year at no further cost.
Everybody at HoGS was once new to strategy tabletop games. You’ll find our members to be helpful and encouraging whenever you learn a new game. We quite like learning new games ourselves!
We hope to see you soon at HoGS!
The HoGS membership year begins on 1 September and ends on 30 August.
Our Rules of Association state:
- The Association is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment to all Members, as well as to any person who attends any Association-sponsored event.
- The Association shall consider all applications for membership without prejudice, and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion or creed, gender or gender expression, age, national origin or ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status and any other cause for discrimination that is outlined in the Anti-Discrimination Act 1998 (Tasmania), or in any other anti-discrimination act or law passed, or to be passed, in any jurisdiction under which the Association operates.
The HoGS Committee is comprised of nine members, including five executive positions:
- Public Officer
HoGS Committee positions are all one year in length, but Committee members often serve for several consecutive years. However, all positions become automatically vacant, and must be filled, at the Annual General Meeting, usually held in September.
The Committee usually meets roughly once every 2-3 months to take care of HoGS business. They are responsible to run all HoGS regular and special events, where they are expected to be HoGS ‘ambassadors’. All those who serve on the Committee receive Financial Membership free of charge during the year/s of their service.
Committee members are required to hold a current Registration to Work with Vulnerable People. If the Registration is made strictly for the HoGS Committee, the registration fee (volunteer) will be covered by the organisation.